You’ve created a new website for your business and already have your content marketing strategy in place. You begin publishing content to the website only to discover that it’s not ranking very well in the search results. You’re doing everything correctly, but your website has yet to establish any page authority. What is page authority? Page authority is a metric created by Moz that determines how well your website’s individual pages will rank in the search results.
Page authority is measured on a scale from 1 to 100. A new website will have a page authority score of 1 while websites like Fox News, Instagram or Twitter will have a page authority near 100. The higher a website’s page authority, the higher that page will rank well in the search results for it’s targeted keywords.
There are many factors that go into calculating a website’s page authority but the three main factors include
- Social signals. How well is your content received when it’s posted to social media? Google is now sophisticated enough to measure how readers interact with your content on social media. Lots of likes and shares means the content is quality and will rewarded with a high ranking in the search results. Sometimes the key to succeeding in this area is building up a big enough following on your brand’s social media channels.
- MozTrust. MozTrust measures how well your website is connected to trusted websites on the web. So, for example, if you received a backlink from a .EDU or a .Gov website, Google would be led to believe that your website is trustworthy as well. MozTrust is measured on a scale of 1-10.
- MozRank. MozRank is determined by the quality of the links that point to your website. If your website is linked from the body of an article on an important news outlet, rather than blog comment sections, your website’s MozRank will be scored higher. MozRank is measured on a scale of 1-10 as well.
It will take some time to increase your website’s page authority. There is certainly a correlation with the quantity of content published to your website and overall page authority. As a business owner, there are a few key SEO strategies you can implement to increase your website’s page authority including
- Using images and other media on your individual pages. Make sure your images are optimized and have descriptions that use important keywords related to the article. Including infographics and embedding YouTube videos are also excellent compliments to individual pages.
- Creating unique content that engages readers. The best content is content that solves a problem, answers a question or entertains an audience. It’s important to eliminate all insecurities about what content is posted to your website. Publish it, promote it on social media and move on. As time goes on, you will have a better idea about how your audience responds to certain subjects.
- Building links to individual pages within your website. Posting your articles and blog posts to social media channels can often satisfy this practice. We typically publish our newest blog posts to Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Linkedin and Google Plus. Although social bookmarking isn’t as popular as it once was, it’s still a great way to establish links to individual posts. Making sure your website’s internal pages are properly linked is also a good way to generate links for individual pages.
Page authority is also closely connected to another important metric called domain authority. Domain authority is also graded on a scale of 1-100 and measures how well a website will rank as a whole in the search results. Some of the biggest factors that go into calculating a website’s domain authority include domain age, the number of websites linking to your website, onsite SEO optimization, MozTrust and MozRank.
Domain authority and page authority are rarely identical scores but they’re often very close to each other. For example, you’ll notice Facebook has a domain authority of 100 and a page authority of 97 while Yahoo has a domain authority of 99 and a page authority of 97. If you’re just starting out and have a brand new website, don’t get too caught up in domain authority and page authority. Focus on publishing excellent content and promoting it on social media as well as following textbook SEO practices. There are no shortcuts when it comes to search engine optimization and black hat SEO techniques should be avoided at all costs.
Are you a small business owner in Nashville, Tennessee that needs help boosting your business website’s page authority? Our content marketing and social media marketing campaigns will help improve your content’s performance in the search results and help generate more revenue for your business. To schedule your free consultation or to learn more about our other digital marketing services, complete our inquiry contact form or give us a call at 615-491-9819.